10/06/2008

Found an old friend


The more I get around, the more I realize what a small community aviation really is. I keep running into people and planes that I had known in the past... Be it running into an old friend unloading lumber from his DC-3 in Kokhanok, AK who I last saw in 1998 in Salt Lake, or even as close to home as my own plane, which was owned by a friend when I was in high school... Most recently I was walking around Lake Hood in Anchorage with a friend I hadn't seen in a couple months taking pictures of the planes on a beautiful fall day. I just happened to look around a corner of a hangar and saw none other than the very Cessna 152 that I had made my second ever solo flight, N915AA, back in Abilene, TX. The years have taken thier toll on the paint and she was missing some avionics but other than that she was pretty much as I remembered her, only she seemed a little smaller now? Maybe its just me, since I was 17 the last time I was near that plane... So, heres to old friends, may we meet again someday, somewhere...
Click on the pictures for a full screen image.

3 comments:

Cherokee Dad said...

Aviation has truly made our world much smaller. Closer to home A looks more a grown man than when he was in high school. I was just as surprised to find out he connected with his solo C-152. He still looks as professional as the first flights he took with her.

Unknown said...

I remember that plane, too. It had a certain... character?... about it. Well, it was less fickle than N4329T, even if its N-number didn't sound as cool.

It's been about as long since I've seen the man. We should fix that at the earliest possible convenience. I haven't forgotten the mentor program we signed up for, even if I have forgotten other chances I had at learning to fly.

I'm optimistic about the next opportunity that is being awarded to me. I've decided to take a different approach since nothing else that has come before has held water.

danette said...

How cool! Glad you started a blog, I look forward to reading more.